Sunday, March 25, 2007

Audrey-The-Smiling-Dog

Audrey and her "First Daddy"
Audrey all prettied up


Back in the spring of 2003, Michael and I decided to adopt a small puppy from a breeder we met at a dog show in Grapevine, Texas. We were informed that she would be about 7-8 pounds fully grown. Within 5 months, she was close to 20 pounds. We learned that breeders can be liars.

Audrey was a bundle of energy and loved to play and loved people. She is the only dog that we know of that would smile at you in the morning. She'd be in her crate and I'd stumble into the kitchen to get my morning cup of coffee and before the smell of the freshly brewed coffee would hit my nose, I would be welcomed by a happy bark and a million-dollar doggie smile. I learned that a dogs smile can be a welcoming site in the morning, but most appreciated after a cup of Folgers.

With Michael and my work schedule, we felt guilty that she wasn't able to run around like we knew she really wanted to. My boss Kathleen offered her home to Audrey and after much consideration, we knew it was the best for Audrey...even if it did cause me to cry. Within a few months of daily doggie updates from Kathleen, I am told that Ms. Audrey was carrying several puppies. I learned that even if you lock your child up in a crate, if she wants to be a slut, she will be a slut and that my parenting skills were not the best.

Kathleen had a career change and was soon living in Seattle, Washington. Audrey went along and found even more yard to play in. Audrey was adopted by Kathleen's niece Zoe, who lived on a large piece of land near Seattle. Audrey and Zoe were best of friends, and even though my updates from Kathleen were not every day, I knew she was happy...evidence proven by Audrey's permanent smile. Last week, Audrey and Zoe were outside playing when a rabbit came into Audrey's view. Audrey found something that would become a new friend and must have run to go introduce herself to the rabbit. The rabbit was not interested in the smiling dog headed at full speed towards her at that current moment and ran off. Audrey did not know rejection, so was determined to find the rabbit, and happily went on to find it. Happy as could be and running as she loved to, she unfortunately ran out onto the country road and was struck by an automobile. Audrey did not make it. I learned that Audrey was a dog that was loved by so many, and taught so many about smiling, loving, and that a dog can give hugs. She came into mine and Michael's life when we were needing her, she blessed Kathleen and her husband Richards life with love and several beautiful puppies. She was lucky enough to meet a young girl named Zoe who found a best friend in this remarkable dog. I believe that there is an angel right now who needed the companionship only Audrey could give.

I don't like sad posts, but wanted to share how lucky we were to have been blessed by this smiling bundle of love. Much like her size outgrew our expectations, her love outgrew our expectations.

Your first Daddies love you Audrey! You little slut. Thanks for the smiles!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Audrey had energy galore! I'm sure she was happy getting to run and play in a yard with a little girl (and almost a rabbit). It's amazing how attached we can become to our pets. I still think of Baby and remember what a special cat she was. I'm sorry Audrey got hit by a car, and glad it wasn't Zoe.

Michael "Tom" said...

As Michael H. was so attached to her, I can remember vividly how attached we were to her...but realized she needed more running room. That girl sure loved to run! I made Zoe an angel necklace & attached a silver dog charm that resembled our Miss Audrey.

the MILKY way (Chrissy) said...

Aww, poor Audrey. What a special dog.

Kelly said...

So sad. Makes me think of our cat Baby. I still miss Baby.