Sunday, May 27, 2007

6 Years Ago...

Well, six years ago, Memorial Day Weekend, Michael TOM and I met. Do ya'll wanna hear how we met? Well, tough. No matter how much you beg to not hear it and that you'd rather me write about how much water I consume in a day, or the longest toe-nail I've ever grown, todays post is about how we met. Get in a comfortable seated position and prepare to be enthralled. So, let me get started...

I was looking for a cheap hooker and...oh wait...wrong story.

Six years ago, I had had enough and decided to give up for awhile.

I decided to give up trying to meet "the perfect person." There were 3-4 guys I was dating at that time, but they all seemed to have issues that I just was not willing to deal with. So, I gave up on them.

I knew almost everybody at the bar I hung out at on the weekends, and most of them were just my friend because I was there. No true friends, just hang out friends. None of them knew my favorite TV show, what type of car I wanted when I grew up, or my favorite fast-food restaurant. So, I gave up on them.

What I needed was "me" time. At the time, I had a second job on the weekends being the stage manager for a comedy improv group. After I finished working at the improv, I was going to go home, watch my favorite TV show, and go to bed. By myself. And I was going to like it!

So, on this particular Saturday night, I was closing down the comedy show and was about to go home to watch "Will & Grace", eat me a Jumbo Jack with Cheese from "Jack-In-The-Box" and eat 2 Snickers Bars, when my best friend Cynthia and her boyfriend came in to say "hi". We talked for awhile and Cynthia really wanted to go somewhere where we could all talk and hang out for a little while. "Will & Grace" would just have to wait. Since I'd given up on my regular bar, I told her that the only place I could think of was this lesbian bar. So, the 3 of us headed there, while I secretly wanted nothing more than to get me my Jumbo Jack with cheese. Luckily I was dressed nicely. Snug fitting white polo shirt, jeans (much smaller size than I wear today), and sandals.

I go to the bar to get us all a drink before meeting them outside on the patio. There were some scary looking women out that night. Please bartender...hurry with my drinks before Liz-The-Lezzie beats me up! I look across the room, and there is this cutie looking at me. Me being used to "the pick up game" raise an eyebrow, and appear more interested in getting extra limes before going outside. Dang it! He's standing by the one and only door to the outside! I walk past him, not daring to make eye contact with him. Success! I made it outside to the safety of my friends.

Cynthia, her boyfriend Dan, and I are talking when "the perfect dance song" comes on. Cynthia and I make a bee-line for the crammed dance floor and, knowing that there was someone watching me, I broke out my "secret" dance moves. I lean over to Cynthia and ask if the good looking guy by the door is watching. While doing her famous "head roll while spinning around" she scopes the scene. Reporting back to me that "yes, he is...along with 6 of the girls around him" I start to get nervous. The song wasn't over, and all the good dance moves were done. I'd already used the secret "chest out, hands over head, swaying back and forth while showing just a hint of my bare then-flat stomach" and didn't have any more moves. We made it thru the rest of the song making up different dance moves.

We decide to stand near the good-looking guy and his group of tough girls. I lean against the wall, propping one leg up against the wall and ask Cynthia if I look better holding my beer waist high, or across my chest like I'm pledging my allegiance to Miller-Lite. We decide waist high. It worked! But it wasn't the good-looking guy coming over, it was a girl with a mullet holding a pool stick. Perhaps my posing was too good? No, she wanted to introduce me to "the whole group" of friends, one of them happened to be the cutie. His name was Michael also. We talked for a couple of minutes, then parted ways.

Cynthia and Dan decided to leave, leaving me there all by myself. Dang it! Who is going to help me decide what pose to use to get him to come back to talk to me? Before I had time to decide the best pose on leaning against a bar stool, "Michael-The-Cutie" came by and we talked a little while longer. Before long, they announced that the bar was closing and we needed to get out of there.

"You wanna grab a bite to eat?" Michael-The-Cutie asks.

"Sure, where do you want to go eat?" Please say Jack-In-The-Box...please say Jack-In-The-Box.

"Denny's?" He asks.

"Great! My favorite place."

I knew I found someone special. I was willing to give up my Jumbo Jack for this guy and knew the road ahead was going to be wonderful!

And it has been.

Neither of us was supposed to be there that particular night, but circumstances made it happen.

God bless circumstances...and good posing.

4 comments:

the MILKY way (Chrissy) said...

You told the story perfectly! I can totally see the head roll move Cynthia did. And the dance moves? Haha, priceless! Did you use the "Dawn VanDever Hand Cross" move? That's a winner there.

Oh, and the car you want when you grow up (or it used to be) is a red Chrysler LeBaron convertible.

Michael said...

Dang Chrissy! You are good! You remember the color too of my "dream" car. Yours was the Mercedes.
Oh, and I did the "Dawn VanDever Hand Cross" move, but improved it by adding a secret "sliding the feet side-to-side" while holding the head down. I better stop telling my secret dance moves before everyone starts copying my dancing!

Anonymous said...

That is so neat how you guys met. You guys are a cute couple.

Michael, I really enjoy reading you blog. You have such a good sense of humor. No wonder Michael "Tom" adores you.

the MILKY way (Chrissy) said...

Heehee! I saw your dream car the other day. Made me think of you.