Monday, April 16, 2007

Where were you when the hail came on Friday?

From mid-week of last week, the news was predicting some severe thunderstorms on Friday evening. Possible hail, strong winds, downpour of rain, witches flying around on brooms...typical spring Texas weather.
Friday morning, I packed my workout bag before leaving for work. I was going to workout, come hell or high water...little did I know both would be true.
On my way from work to 24-Hour Fitness, I called Michael TOM and told him I'd be home around 6:30 - 7:00 and we'd go out for dinner afterwards. An hour into working out, I sit a bit in the hot-tub and steam room. Out the foggy windows of the pool area, I could see that the storm was coming in and I'd better hurry up and shower to get home before I'd need an arc and paddle to make it to our garage.
After a quick shower, I paddle my wet self to my locker with the ratty sports club issued towel wrapped around me. There are 5 separate locker rows, and I am in the middle row, midway between the door to the pool and front entrance by the trainers desk. Happy that on Fridays almost no one is in the locker room, I get distracted by what sounded like a pre-pubescent boy in the next row. Realizing I better hurry and get dressed to avoid being seen I then hear another pre-pubescent boy say that he hasn't been in a boys locker room since some kids pushed her in one in junior high. OH MY GOD! Those are women in the locker room, not 11 year-old high-pitched voiced boys! I scramble to pull up my underwear, only to realize mid-thigh I accidently grabbed a pair of Michael TOM's tighty whitey sized small undies. No, in case you were wondering, they didn't even come close to trying to make it over my butt. After what felt like forever, I got them peeled off and threw on my jeans before 4 or 5 women walked past the row I was in.

I grabbed one of the guys as he walked past, "What in the hell kind of nightmare am I in? This is a men's room, last I checked?"

"Did you not hear? The tornado sirens are going off and since the mens locker-room is in the middle of the building, everybody has been evacuated to this area."

Lovely.

I throw on my shirt over my wet chest, and it instantly feels like I am in a wet t-shirt competition.

"Could it get any worse?" I dared to think. As I roll my eyes to God to deliver me from all this and to thank him for not letting any of the ladies see me, my eyes catch something I've never noticed before on the ceiling. A mirror, similar to the ones at stores so clerks can see who is in the next couple of aisles before they get to them.

I smile, wave at the women in the reflection, and give up.

So, please tell me I'm not the only one who had an interesting experience during the storm? Please share with me your story! And if you are one of the women in the locker room last Friday, no need to share. I'm humiliated enough already.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I am soooo glad I wasn't there with you.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time I ran into the little convenience store near out house to get a soda. Looked down and noticed something hanging out of my pant leg...it was the pantyhose that I'd slipped off at the same time I took my pants of the night before. Well, I decided to just quickly pull them out before someone noticed...ch-yeah, right. I pulled and pulled and PULLED. They got longer and longer, but wouldn't come out. So I'm standing there with about 10 yards of pantyhose coming out of my pant leg, pulling faster and harder and just about ready to have a full blown panic attack, when, finally, I came to the end of those blasted hose which now, what do I DO with them. I wadded them up and stuffed them in my already overflowing purse and hoped, please, PLEASE don't think I'm shoplifting. Of course I'm in full view of everyone in the store thanks to the mirrors and security camera (which they can watch LIVE on their little tv up at the check-out counter). I bought my stupid soda and went home laughing so hard I could hardly drive. It was either that or cry.

By the way, we just got rain at our house. Glad all of you came out of the storm okay.

Kelly said...

That sounds like something that would happen to me...